Top 10 Best Dry & Wet Cat Foods Review 2020. Why is Nulo a good choice for your happy healthy kitten? The Austin-based company is a well-known and well-respected brand that makes dog foods and cat foods for pets of all stages of life and they excel at both dry foods and wet foods. Their products are guaranteed all-natural ingredients and free of artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives that may make your kitty sick. They’re also free of corn, soy, white potatoes, tapioca, and wheat—which, as an obligate carnivore, your growing kitten definitely doesn’t need in her diet.
As for what Nulo wet and dry food does contain, you’ll find wholesome natural ingredients like chicken, turkey, salmon, and trout. Nulo’s dry and wet foods are specifically crafted to be grain-free, low-carb, and high in quality protein, antioxidants, and vitamins and minerals. This is important for adult cats and kittens, but especially young kitties who rely on good nutrition to help them build strong immune systems, joints, bones, eyes, and more.
But wait… There is a lot more info on this page on how to choose the best kitten food, things like Nutritional Needs for Kittens or what foods you should NEVER give to your kitty. Make sure to read these carefully since you need to read it only once and your cat deserves quality food for a lifetime.
7. AvoDerm Natural Canned Kitten Food
AvoDerm is a unique canned food option as the food for your kitten. It provides high-quality ingredients, with the top four ingredients being quality protein sources. It of course also incorporates many other needed nutrients, including antioxidants and healthy sources of fatty acids and omegas for your healthy kitten. What makes it so unique is its use of avocado oil (where the brand takes at least part of its name).
It is the avocado oil that provides a truly healthy source of fats and omegas. Besides helping provide the energy your little one will need, it also ensures that she will have a healthy coat and skin. If you choose AvoDerm, you can also rest assured knowing that it meets all of the nutritional levels required by the AAFCO. They also guarantee that there will be no corn, wheat or artificial colors in any of their foods.
- Salmon Formula Canned Wet Cat Foods
- Healthy Skin & Coat: Made With Omega Rich California Avocados And Avocado Oil
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium All Natural Ingredients, No By-Products Meals, No Artificial…
- Complete Health: Premium Proteins Are The First Ingredients In All Our Recipes. All Formulas Provide…
- Healthy Immune System: Avoderm Natural Pet Foods Have Vitamins, Minerals, And Antioxidant Nutrients…
- The top four ingredients are protein sources (salmon, salmon broth, chicken liver).
- It doesn’t contain any corn, soy, artificial colors, preservatives or by-products
- Some cats can get bored with the food so you should switch it up occasionally
6. Earthborn Holistic Wet Kitten Food
Next on the list of amazing wet food options for your new fuzz bucket is Earthborn Holistic. Using a facility up to human-grade standards, Earthbound makes all of their foods with the highest quality protein and an array of vegetables and fruits. All of their foods contain no grain ingredients.
In addition to the whole foods, they also add important vitamins and minerals to help create exceedingly healthy yet tasty formulas. They offer their wet in both cans and pouches with a variety of meat sources, such as chicken, fish and beef. Offering the promise of a guaranteed analysis and the assurance of meeting the AAFCO standards for pet food, Earthborn is a sturdy brand to choose from.
While they do not have kittens’ formulas, their wet food has undergone testing to support the claim that it is appropriate for all stages of growth. The company also provides separate feeding instructions appropriate for your kitten.
- Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, 5.5 Oz. Can
- Made With High-Quality Skipjack Tuna And Grilled Mackerel Proteins
- Includes Potatoes For An Exceptional Source Of Vitamins, Minerals And Beta-Carotene
- Produced In A Human Grade Facility
- 100% Guaranteed For Taste And Nutrition
- Human grade standards in food production
- Formula without grains, with the top three ingredients being protein sources
- Sometimes you will have to mince the big food pieces depending on the can.
5. Tiki Cat Gourmet Whole Canned Food
Tiki Cat gourmet wet food will ensure that your sweet kitten gets the very best. Whole Food Certified, it is one of the only cat diets that is certified for human consumption! Tiki Cat’s focus is on creating food for your kitten that is most natural for the carnivore inside your kitten. All of their lines are high-quality protein, without grains, with no corn, rice, wheat or even potatoes, and use only recognizable, whole-food ingredients.
They offer their wet cat foods in many different lines, some canned some in pouches. Chicken and fish are the primary meat sources, and they also offer a line for kitties with sensitive tummies. When you open up a can of Tiki, you know you got what they claim. You can see the chicken and fish chunks and fruit and veggies right before your eyes. You’ll have no doubt about what your little cat is eating.
- GRAIN-FREE NUTRITION – Cats are carnivores, so give your cat the meat and seafood she craves with…
- HIGH MOISTURE CANNED FOOD – Count on the high moisture content of each can of Luau to give you…
- NUTRIENT RICH CAT FOODS – Real salmon is the first ingredient, giving your cat the nutrition she…
- BALANCED WET CAT FOODS – Give your favorite feline the ideal nutrition in each bite of our food,…
- REAL FISH, REAL MEAT, REAL PROTEIN – Our protein-rich cat foods offers delicious seafood and…
- Certified for human consumption
- Grain-free and also free from any other filler ingredients like rice or potatoes.
- Very high in protein with 18.5% of minimum crude protein
- Some picky cats may not like the taste
4. Instinct Original Natural Wet Canned Kitten Food
If you’re looking for canned kitten food, this grain-free product may be the right choice for your feline. Like many of the other foods on our list, this low-ingredient wet food is also free of artificial preservatives and fillers that could otherwise trigger a food sensitivity in your young kitty’s tummy.
It’s rich in healthy fats from things like salmon and eggs, providing essential fatty acids including DHA for optimal brain and eye development. It’s also a great source of vitamins, minerals, and other macronutrients from whole ingredients like artichokes, pumpkin, blueberries, broccoli, and kale.
- KITTEN GRAIN FREE CAT FOOD WITH CAGE FREE CHICKEN: Instinct Original is made with real cage-free…
- CANNED CAT FOODS WITH NO FILLERS: Instinct Original wet cat foods is grain-free cat foods. Made without…
- NATURAL CAT FOOD: Made from real meat & whole food ingredients, our grain-free wet cat food is…
- RAW INSPIRED WET CAT FOODS: Our canned cat foods offers complete & balanced nutrition from real…
- INSTINCT, THE RAW BRAND: We craft wet & dry cat foods from real ingredients. Compare Instinct to Blue…
- High protein (12.0% minimum crude protein analysis)
- Contains no grain, potato, wheat, corn, soy, carrageenan, by-product meals, artificial colors or preservatives
- Some cats don’t like the pate texture
- Other reviewers note their animals got bored with it (but it is easy to switch out or use as a topper on other food)
3. Kitten Food Wellness Core Wet Canned Kitten
Wellness brand dry food impressed us already, but this canned cat foods for kittens is also worthy of a mention. Their line contains high-quality ingredients like chicken and turkey, chicken broth and turkey broth, turkey liver, and fish oil for a jam-packed meal of nutrients that growing kittens will thrive on.
The company recently redesigned its cans and some users have expressed concerns that the new formula isn’t the same. But for a canned food it contains a good amount of protein in addition to an impressive 78.0% moisture.
- Protein-Rich: Deboned Turkey, Whitefish Meal & Deboned Chicken
- DHA Supports Healthy Brain & Eye Development
- Antioxidant-Rich To Support Immune Health
- No Wheat, Meat By-Products, Or Artificial Colors, Flavors Or Preservatives.No corn and no soy
- Grain-free kitten food made with high-quality ingredients
- High moisture and protein content, without including any meat by-products
- Many complaints about the newly updated formula, including kittens falling ill and even finding spoiled food inside
2. Weruva Grain-Free Natural Wet Cat Food
This high quality grain-free canned food for kittens is made by a family-owned company that pledges to adhere to high manufacturing standards. You’ll be surprised to open the can and see real identifiable chicken meat inside. There are also lots of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and a great moisture content to promote overall health and development. With 10% crude protein and 85% moisture, growing kittens who like this wet food will definitely get the nutrients they need.
- Featuring Cage-Free Boneless, Skinless White Breast Meat Chicken
- Thinly Shredded Cage-Free Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Is The Primary Ingredient In These…
- Minimally Processed And Free Of Grain, Gluten, GMOs, Msgs, Carrageenan, And Any Other Bad Stuff. That…
- Complete And Balanced Diet For Adult Maintenance With Added Vitamins, Minerals, And Antioxidants….
- Weruva Is A Family Owned Company, Wholly Owned And Operated By Pet Parents David And Stacie Forman
- Contains thinly-shredded and cage-free chicken meat
- Preservative-free, gluten-free, carrageenan-free, gluten-free, grain-free kitten food
- Contains potato starch
- Another product that has a “new formula” which seems to have turned off a lot of former fans (kitten and human)
1. Nulo Adult & Kitten Grain-Free Canned Wet Cat Food
Nulo brand prides itself on promoting healthy pets, healthy pet owners, and healthy human/animal bonding. Here’s what they have to say about their wet canned cat foods and other products on their website: “Animal-based proteins to build muscle. Low carbs and low-glycemic ingredients to maintain a healthy weight. And probiotics to boost immunity. Just a few of the wholesome benefits our recipes provide to help your dogs and cats fuel their inner athlete.”
This canned wet cat foods has a palatable minced texture that kittens love to eat. Their recipe is protein-rich and is also moisture-rich to ensure your kitty stays well hydrated. And because it’s 100% free of soy, corn, wheat, and even carrageenan and other additives, it may help reduce food allergies or sensitivities.
- 24-PACK of our 3 oz cans. Based in Austin, TX and proudly made in the USA, Nulo Wet Cat Foods is…
- GRAIN-FREE & HIGH MEAT/LOW CARB recipe contains 5 animal protein sources. This supports healthier…
- GREATER NUTRITIONAL PUNCH because its proteins and animal fats have a beneficial mix of vitamins,…
- PROMOTES WEIGHT MANAGEMENT through reduced carbohydrate intake. Your cat remains lithe and agile…
- MAY REDUCE food sensitivities or allergies. Nulo Grain-Free Cat Foods is nutritionally balanced for…
- US-based company
- Made with high-quality ingredients
- Low carb to prevent weight gain
- Formulated for adult cats and kittens
- Not all cats are fans, especially pickier eaters
- Some users are concerned that it makes their kittens’ poop watery and loose
Cat Food FAQ
1. Why is it important to buy my cat different food according to her current life stage?
Like humans, animals have different nutritional needs depending on their age. As an example, kittens need diets rich in protein and calories in order to support fast-paced growth and development. Older cats may need low-calorie food or one with specific nutrients to minimize the risk of weight-gain and age-related issues. “All life stage” option is not advisable for certain animals and may have unintended adverse effects. Many dry cat foods are specifically made for the elder cats, but…Your best bet is to consult with your veterinarian so he or she can help you make a more informed decision.
2. Should I use the feeding recommendations on the food label?
While helpful as general guidelines, feeding recommendations on the bag labels may not be the right fit for your feline depending on her age, overall health status, and lifestyle, so consult with your vet.
3. Is my pet overweight?
There are a few ways to tell:
- Run your hands along her flank—you should be able to easily feel but not see her ribs.
- Look down at your feline from above—there should be a clear narrowing at the waist.
- Look at your kitty from the side—you should see a narrowing from this angle, too.
4. Can my kitty have “people” food?
Avoid the temptation to slip her scraps from your plate. Aside from the risk of accidentally giving her something toxic, giving your feline small treats can easily lead to weight gain and nutrient imbalances.
5. Can Cat food go Bad?
This depends on the food and the way it’s stored:
- All feline food should be used before the expiration date on the label.
- If your kitty is “free feed,” you can leave her dry granules out as long as it isn’t moist or exposed to high heat.
- Canned food should be thrown away after it’s been left out for 4+ hours, and opened cans can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
- Wash and refill your pet’s food and water dishes at least weekly.
6. How much should I feed my cat?
As mentioned, the amount you feed your pet depends on its age, health status, activity level, and a few other factors. Your vet can help you determine how much is right for your animal. A typical 10-lb kitty needs only around 250 calories per day to maintain an appropriate lean body mass.
P S. These adult dry foods with real chicken meats (and other poultry) are great for your adult cat. You can serve her this popular chicken meal without the fear of gaining extra pounds.
7. How much water should I give her?
Always have fresh water available for your animal! Proper hydration helps her digest her nutrients and avoid health problems like dehydration and urinary tract infections. Important to note that proper hydration is even more important when the cat is eating only dry cat food.
8. Why does my cat eat only from the middle of her bowl?
If your cat’s dish is too deep and narrow, then she may struggle eating out of it because the sides of the dish can cause pain if her sensitive whiskers bump up against them. To compensate, she may try to eat out of the center only.
9. Should I change up my cat’s food from time to time, or keep it the same?
This is highly individual and depends on the unique preferences and health needs of your furry friend. If you want to change your pet’s food, do it slowly and introduce new things to her diet in small amounts.
10. When should I transition my cat from kitten to adult cat food?
Expect to change over your kitten’s food around age one. Transition slowly and be sure to monitor her response to ensure she’s adjusting well.
What is the best cat food recommended by vets?
All of the products we review are recommended by vets for their quality. Out of all the vet-approved cat foods, we recommend Nalo Adult & Kitten Grain-Free Dry Cat Food and Wellness Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food.
What is the best brand of cat food?
Based on our research we recommend Nalo and Wellness brands of cat food. However different cats have different needs, so it’s important to thoroughly read through the reviews and then decide what’s best for your cat.
What is the best cat food for cats?
Every cat is unique and all of the products we reviewed are considered the best in terms of ingredients quality. Our top pick for dry cat food is Nulo Adult & Kitten Grain-Free Dry Cat Food. Our top pick for wet cat food is Wellness Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food.
What is the best cat food 2020?
We have done the research and so far in 2020, we recommend Nulo Adult & Kitten Grain-Free Dry Cat Food as well as Wellness Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food.