Every animal you choose to keep within your homestead deserves a high quality and easily accessible food. This food will allow them to attain optimum growth, stay healthy, and live life to the fullest. Adding that, there is no doubt about the fact that pets have had their food supplied on a daily basis, but what those lovely birds flying over our heads and playing good, soothing music? We are talking about the best parrot foods!
Are you of the school of thought that these birds should survive on the sparse fruits, bugs, and nuts they manage to find? Of course, and that is why you need to invest in parrot food. The good news is that there are plenty of brands of these foods out there in the market. However, not all parrot foods are created equally; some are definitely much better than others. Since your bottom line, just like anybody else, is to ensure that you choose the best food, getting recommendations is a welcoming move.
After many hours of research, which involved testing and trying out dozens of parrot foods available in the market; we have narrowed to the top ten best products for your consideration in 2020.
10. FruitBlend Flavor AvianMaintenance Premium Diet for Parrots by ZuPreem
Are you looking for one of the best bird diets to give your parrots? If so, then the FruitBlend Flavor AvianMaintenance Premium Diet for Parrots by ZuPreem is a perfect choice. This fruit flavored food is specifically formulated for Conures, Greys, Caiques, Amazons, Senegals, Pionus, and other large to medium parrots. Its premium ingredients have been thoroughly cooked for optimum digestibility. Available in exciting shapes, this highly nutritious diet is blended to meet all the nutritional needs of the said pet birds.
12 lb. Bag. Fruity flavor and aroma. Premium nutrition fortified with vitamins and minerals for large parrots.
- Contains fresh ground fruit in every tasty bite
- 21 vitamins and minerals, no supplements required
- Recommended by veterinarians and fed by top breeders worldwide
9. Sleek & Sassy Nutritional Garden Macaw Parrot Diet
Our advanced formula Complete Pellet Diet plus a tasty assortment of enzyme-rich Whole Grains, Seeds, Legumes, Papaya, Pineapple, Banana Chips, Green Bell Pepper, Red Chili Peppers, Carrots, Sweet Potato, Sweet Garden Peas, Whole Brazil Nuts, Filberts(Hazelnuts) and Almonds! Unlike many companies, we choose to package all of our products in Oxygen filled packaging to ensure enzyme-rich seeds and grain to optimize the nutritional value. We do not Nitrogen flush or Vacuum pack our products which evacuate the oxygen to increase shelf life. Whole Seeds & Grain should always be stored in an oxygen-filled environment to maintain their live enzyme activity and viability. Enzymes are CRUCIAL in aiding the digestion and assimilation of most nutrients. Taking away the oxygen will kill the live enzymes and reduce the nutritional value.
- Family Owned & Operated in Oregon since 1983
- All Natural Ingredients
- Blended with #1 Human-Grade Fruits, Vegetables & Nuts
- Vitamin, Mineral & Amino Acid Enriched
- No Artificial Colors or Sulfites (SO²)
8. LAFEBER’S Premium Daily Diet Pellets Pet Bird Food for Parrots
Dr. Lafeber Sr. created the very first pet bird pellet. As a practicing veterinarian in the 1960’s Dr Ted Lafeber, Sr. was treating pet birds and soon realized that most pet birds were suffering from malnutrition. Birds can not survive on millet, canary seed and sunflower seeds alone. In 1975, he created the very first pet bird pellet recipe. Initially, many people thought he was crazy, birds eat seeds, not pellets, but then they saw the results the birds eating pellets were healthier, happier and living longer. Nutritionally Balanced Good health and a long life begin with proper nutrition and Lafeber’ s Premium Daily Diet is formulated to provide exactly that. Lafeber’s Premium Daily Diet is a high-quality blend of natural ingredients like ground non-GMO corn and soybean meal. Both grains are literally grown outside Lafeber Company’s front door. We also add the whole egg, the world’s most digestive form of protein. The different grains are mixed and essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids are added which are necessary for strong bones and brilliant feathers. Watch your feathered friend shine with the excellent nutrition found in Lafeber’ s pelleted bird food. Balancing the Omega Fatty Acids increases immune function. Generally, increased immune function helps the body’s ability to fight disease. Balanced Omega 3 & 6 also improves the quality of the skin. More than ever, each pelleted recipe provides excellent nutrition for your loved feathered companion. Creating the first Omega 3 & 6 balanced pet bird pellet is just one of the reasons Lafeber Company is considered the leader in avian nutrition. Our veterinarians and nutritionist determined the best combination of natural preservatives, specifically mixed tocopherols and citric acid, to protect the nutrients of Lafeber’ s Premium Daily Diet pellets. Our pellets are naturally flavored with the great taste of molasses. Molasses provides the energy birds need and taste birds enjoy.
- NUTRITIONALLY COMPLETE PARROT FOOD: formulated by top avian veterinarians and avian nutritionists
- NON-GMO AND HUMAN-GRADE INGREDIENTS: no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- RICH IN ANTIOXIDANTS & OMEGA 3&6 BALANCED: help support healthy skin, feathers, and immune system
- MADE IN THE USA: our food is mixed, formed, and packaged in small batches and under one roof on the Lafeber family farm in Cornell, IL
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: we are a small family company that works hard to produce gourmet pet bird food, which is why we’re confident in offering a 100% satisfaction guarantee
7. TOP’S Outstanding Bird PELLETS for Parrot
The TOP’S Outstanding Bird PELLETS is a complete diet for your parrot. It is an outstanding source of all-natural and essential nutrients for a healthy life. These bird pellets feature 100 percent-certified organic ingredients. This balanced diet meal contains ingredients such as eco-farmed rice, organic barley, millet hulled, and alfalfa leaf as well as organic sunflower seed hulled, sesame seeds hulled, quinoa whole, carrot powder, seaweeds, rose hips, orange peel powder, and dandelion leaf powder among others. Top’s pellets are cold-pressed to keep natural enzymes, minerals, vitamins, and all the included nutrients intact.
- We use suggested bird sizes but you ultimately choose depends on both the size of your bird and what size food pieces your bird normally prefers. Generally, if you go a little smaller with the pellet size then you will have less waste. TOP’s All Size Hookbills Pellets is best suited for large and medium parrots, such as macaws, amazons, Eclectus and cockatoos.
- TOPs are the only non-corn based USDA Certified complete diet bird food. Most other competing brands use GMO corn as the main ingredient. We don’t eat GMO corn and do not think your bird should either
- Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and other nutrients for a happy and healthy parrot. Naturally preserved with Rosemary, Rose Hips, Lemon and Orange Peel
- TOP’s outstanding pellets (4 lb) do not contain any fillers, like soy or corn, or BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin. We use only fresh, natural ingredients and avoid all artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or sucrose/sugar.
- Measures 1/4″ in diameter – Feed your companion approximately as much as they want each day, the pellets are cold-pressed to keep the natural nutrition intact.
6. Vitakraft Menu Care Complex Vitamin Fortified Parrot Food
Serve your Parrot a colorful, high diversity mixture of seeds, grains, tropical fruits, and vegetables, including sunflower, rolled peas, whole peanuts, carob pods, alfalfa rings, bananas, raisins, and chili peppers. DHA Omega-3’s to support brain health, heart function, vision, luxurious feathering, and a strong immune system. Fortified with essential vitamins and minerals for parrots. The high bio-availability of Menu ingredients means that your bird gets the nutrients he needs in a form that’s easy to digest, to help keep him healthy, happy and playful. Omega-3’s help keep your bird’s skin smooth and his feathers bright and colorful. Healthy skin and feathers are not just for looks – they feel better too!
- Great-Tasting Flavor Your Parrot Will Love Includes A Healthy Mixture Of Seeds, Grains, Tropical Fruits And Vegetables.
- Key Nutrients Support Overall Health And Well Being While Providing A Balanced Diet.
- Omega-3’S Keep Your Bird’S Feathers Bright And Colorful.
- DHA Helps Maintain Heart, Brain And Respiratory Function
- Resealable Bag Retains Freshness.
5. Volkman Seed Avian Science Super Parrotlet 4lb
Open as you need a Pack of 2 for your parrotlet. Super Parrotlet Mix is a natural nutritionally balanced diet mix for your special Parrotlet made up of Safflower Seed, White Proso Millet, Buckwheat, Small Crack Corn, Oat Groats, Canary Grass Seed, Brown Paddy Rice, Sunflower Chips, Small Black Oil Sunflower, Peanut Dices, Vitamized Oat Groats, Hemp Seed, Carrot Dices, Kibbled Corn, Cantalope Seed, Dehydrated Green Peas, Red Bell pepper Dices, Dundicut Peppers, Spinach Flakes and Safflower/Orange Oil (Vitamin C used as a natural preservative).
- Super Parrotlet Mix is a natural nutritionally balanced diet mix for your special Parrotlet
- Species-Specific formula for Parrotlets
- Extra clean bird seed mix
4. Harrison’s Bird Foods Adult Lifetime Coarse
The Harrison’s Bird Foods Adult Lifetime Coarse is a maintenance formula for adult birds, including medium to large parrots. It is recommended that this diet be offered to birds after they have completed a high potency dietary program for six months. The beauty of this food is that it meets all the nutritional requirements for healthy, non-molting, and non-breeding birds including Amazons, Pionus, Macaws, Cockatoos, and other (medium to large) parrots. This chemical-free product does not have any preservatives, sweeteners for flavors, or artificial colors.
3. Higgins Intune Premium Natural Food Mix for Parrots
Serve your lovely parrot complete daily nutrition in line with your bird’s overall well-being offered by the irresistible and delicious natural pellet diet –the Higgins Intune Premium Natural Food Mix for Parrots. With no artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors, this product is well known for the optimum delivery of nutrients. The guaranteed percentages of added minerals and vitamins plus encapsulated digestive probiotics ensure parrots receive all the nutrients needed for good health.
2. LAFEBER’S Nutri-Berries Parrot Food Bundle
If you are seeking to maintain your bird’s health with diets containing human-grade ingredients, exciting textures, and unmatched tastes, then you just need to consider the LAFEBER’S Nutri-Berries Parrot Food Bundle. Irrespective of the variety you choose, all of them are nutritionally complete with no traces of GMO and artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. Its human-grade ingredients with real vegetables and fruit pieces are coated with chelated minerals and stabilized vitamins to ensure your beautifully feathered companion gets the much-needed nutrients in each bite. Unlike other seed diets, this product offers an exciting eating experience by stimulating both the brain and the taste buds.
1. Zupreem Medium-Large FruitBlend Flavor Diet
The Supreme Medium-Large FruitBlend Flavor Diet is highly recommended by veterinarians and fed by top breeders across the world. This maintenance diet provides balanced nutrition to maintain good health among medium to large birds. It is formulated by experienced veterinarians and nutritionists who combine top quality ingredients while maintaining strict quality standards for your bird pet’s health. This product is created in five fruit shapes in five crazy colors for fun and it contains at least 21 minerals & vitamins in every bite. It is available in fruity taste and aroma delighting your parrot’s senses.
Cat Food FAQ
1. Why is it important to buy my cat different food according to her current life stage?
Like humans, animals have different nutritional needs depending on their age. As an example, kittens need diets rich in protein and calories in order to support fast-paced growth and development. Older cats may need low-calorie food or one with specific nutrients to minimize the risk of weight-gain and age-related issues. “All life stage” option is not advisable for certain animals and may have unintended adverse effects. Many dry cat foods are specifically made for the elder cats, but…Your best bet is to consult with your veterinarian so he or she can help you make a more informed decision.
2. Should I use the feeding recommendations on the food label?
While helpful as general guidelines, feeding recommendations on the bag labels may not be the right fit for your feline depending on her age, overall health status, and lifestyle, so consult with your vet.
3. Is my pet overweight?
There are a few ways to tell:
- Run your hands along her flank—you should be able to easily feel but not see her ribs.
- Look down at your feline from above—there should be a clear narrowing at the waist.
- Look at your kitty from the side—you should see a narrowing from this angle, too.
4. Can my kitty have “people” food?
Avoid the temptation to slip her scraps from your plate. Aside from the risk of accidentally giving her something toxic, giving your feline small treats can easily lead to weight gain and nutrient imbalances.
5. Can Cat food go Bad?
This depends on the food and the way it’s stored:
- All feline food should be used before the expiration date on the label.
- If your kitty is “free feed,” you can leave her dry granules out as long as it isn’t moist or exposed to high heat.
- Canned food should be thrown away after it’s been left out for 4+ hours, and opened cans can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
- Wash and refill your pet’s food and water dishes at least weekly.
6. How much should I feed my cat?
As mentioned, the amount you feed your pet depends on its age, health status, activity level, and a few other factors. Your vet can help you determine how much is right for your animal. A typical 10-lb kitty needs only around 250 calories per day to maintain an appropriate lean body mass.
P S. These adult dry foods with real chicken meats (and other poultry) are great for your adult cat. You can serve her this popular chicken meal without the fear of gaining extra pounds.
7. How much water should I give her?
Always have fresh water available for your animal! Proper hydration helps her digest her nutrients and avoid health problems like dehydration and urinary tract infections.
Important to note that proper hydration is even more important when the cat is eating only dry cat food.
8. Why does my cat eat only from the middle of her bowl?
If your cat’s dish is too deep and narrow, then she may struggle eating out of it because the sides of the dish can cause pain if her sensitive whiskers bump up against them. To compensate, she may try to eat out of the center only.
9. Should I change up my cat’s food from time to time, or keep it the same?
This is highly individual and depends on the unique preferences and health needs of your furry friend. If you want to change your pet’s food, do it slowly and introduce new things to her diet in small amounts.
10. When should I transition my cat from kitten to adult cat food?
Expect to change over your kitten’s food around age one. Transition slowly and be sure to monitor her response to ensure she’s adjusting well.
What is the best cat food recommended by vets?
All of the products we review are recommended by vets for their quality. Out of all the vet-approved cat foods, we recommend Nalo Adult & Kitten Grain-Free Dry Cat Food and Wellness Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food.
What is the best brand of cat food?
Based on our research we recommend Nalo and Wellness brands of cat food. However different cats have different needs, so it’s important to thoroughly read through the reviews and then decide what’s best for your cat.
What is the best cat food for cats?
Every cat is unique and all of the products we reviewed are considered the best in terms of ingredients quality. Our top pick for dry cat food is Nulo Adult & Kitten Grain-Free Dry Cat Food. Our top pick for wet cat food is Wellness Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food.
What is the best cat food 2020?
We have done the research and so far in 2020 we recommend Nulo Adult & Kitten Grain-Free Dry Cat Food as well as Wellness Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food.